Day & Evening
(718) 878-6886

Are You Paying Too Much Child Support?

Posted on : March 27, 2017, By:  Mary Katherine Brown
Brooklyn Child Support Lawyer

The Cost Of Child Support In New York

A significant concern among non-custodial parents after a divorce is how much child support they are required to pay. The state of New York, like most other states, determines the level of child support based on the amount of money made by the non-custodial parent. However, life circumstances can change, leaving parents with a bigger child support bill than they can afford. Here’s what to do if you think you may be paying too much child support.

Never Reduce or Stop Making Your Payments Without Consulting an Attorney

Most often, the reason needed for lowering child support payments is demotion or job loss. However, it is against the law to reduce or stop making your child support payments without consulting an attorney and having your original court order modified. This is true even if you suddenly cannot afford to make those payments. If you stop payments without first going through the proper channels, you could be held in contempt of court and face fines and jail time.

How Your Brooklyn Child Support Attorney Can Help

If a job loss, demotion, or even an accidental injury or illness has changed your financial situation, your Brooklyn child support attorney can help you petition the court for a change in your child support orders. Typically, with sufficient evidence of your new income, a court can lower your child support payments to an affordable level until your circumstances change again.

Be Aware That Child Support Changes Can Go the Other Way Too

In much the same way that you can request the court to re-evaluate your finances to determine if you qualify for a lower child support payment, your ex may also petition the court for a raise in child support if you received a substantial pay increase. However, if your ex is asking for more child support without adequate grounds, you’ll need to defend yourself. Again, evidence of how much money you make is typically all that is required.

At the Law Offices of Mary Katherine Brown, we can help you navigate the challenging waters of child support and other family law matters, including child custody, divorce, and more. Contact our office today to learn more about how to reduce your child support payments without penalty and to schedule a consultation by calling (718) 878-6886.

Posted in : Divorce ,

What Our Clients Say

Mariana Peniche
Mariana Peniche
17:43 12 Nov 18
Yair Oded
Yair Oded
19:00 07 Nov 18
It was recommended to me that I get in touch with Mary Katherine through an acquaintance who works in the field. I can confidently say it was one of the best decisions I had made. I went through a complicated separation process and custody battle over my two year old son; my case was extremely challenging and before I retained the services of Mary Katherine it seemed as though all was lost. Mary Katherine and Eoin O' Mahony worked tirelessly on my case and managed to guarantee my access to my son and reach an agreement that protected my relationship with him and secured my status as his father. They did so with the utmost of professionalism, compassion, and generosity. I truly cannot recommend her warmly enough.
Iqra Yaqub
Iqra Yaqub
10:20 28 Apr 18
Christine David-Fortune
Christine David-Fortune
12:38 23 Mar 18
If you are looking for an attorney who would listen to your concern and tirelessly work with/for you to get results then Mary Katherine Brown is who you are looking for. She promptly addressed my concerns and kept me informed throughout the process. At the end she produce results I am happy with. Thanks again Counselor!
Jeremiah Thompson
Jeremiah Thompson
16:53 26 Jul 17
Mary Katherine Brown is one of Brooklyn's top divorce lawyers
See All Reviews